PE PDH
PDH Online

Introduction to Boiler


Quiz Questions

1.A boiler is an enclosed vessel in which water is heated and/or boiled—the water is circulated from the boiler as hot water or steam for heating or power.1 There are two types of boilers used for residential and commercial heating systems: hot water and steam boilers. Both types are used in conjunction with baseboard heaters or radiators to transfer the heat throughout a building. They can be fired using.
Fuel oil
Natural gas
fuel oil or natural gas
2. A hot water boiler consists of a fuel burner(s), an ignition source, a blower fan, a refractory liner (to protect the floor of the boiler and building), a heat exchanger, a circulating pump, an expansion tank and at least one radiator.
True
False
3.A steam boiler consists of a burner(s), an ignition source, a blower fan, a refractory liner, a heat exchanger, a boiler water regulator, a condensate return pump and at least one radiator (with a steam control valve).
True
False
4.In a hot water system, during the heating season the hot water is kept at approximately
150 Degrees Fahrenheit
180 Degrees Fahrenheit
200 Degrees Fahrenheit
5.When the room thermostat signals that more heat is needed, the burner turns on, increasing the temperature of the boiler water above 212°F and producing steam.
True
False
6.The heat exchanger consists of a series of connected metal tubes that hold the water to be heated. It also includes a circulating pump that moves the water through the system. As the flame and exhaust gases pass over the tubes of the heat exchanger, the water inside absorbs heat. The hot water is pumped to the baseboard heaters/radiators to release its stored heat before returning to the heat exchanger to repeat the process. This is called
The boiler water loop
The boiler heat pump
7.The difference between a hot water and a steam boiler is in the design of the heat exchanger / combustion chamber. In a steam boiler,
The heat exchanger pipes surround the combustion chamber.
The hot water pipes runs on top of the combustion chamber
8.an AFUE rating of 80% means that for every gallon of fuel burned in the boiler, 80% of the energy it contains will be transferred to the hot water or steam in the heat exchanger and be directed to the room radiators for heating the building. The remaining 20% of fuel input energy will be exhausted through the stack and will be lost. AFUE only refers to the unit’s fuel efficiency, not its electrical usage.
True
False
9.The Hot water heating has the following advantages

  • Even heat distribution
  • Quiet operation
  • Low maintenance
  • More efficient
True
False
10.The Hot water Heating has the following disadvantages

  • Slower to deliver heat
  • High electricity consumption
  • Small reservoir of heat capacity
  • Less practical for very tall Buildings
True
False
11.The steam heating does NOT have the following advantages

  • Large reservoir of heat capacity
  • Low electricity consumption
  • Fast heat delivery
True
False
12.The steam heating does NOT have the following disadvantages

  • Uneven heating
  • High fuel consumption
  • Large radiators
  • Noisy operation
True
False