Green Building Codes-Going Beyond Code
Credit: 12 PDH Hours
Course Fee: $180.00
The Going Beyond Code Guide is designed to help state and local governments design and implement successful “beyond code” programs for new commercial and residential buildings. The goal is to help states and localities establish voluntary or mandatory programs that go well beyond traditional minimum code requirements for new buildings. The guide addresses keys to successful adoption and implementation and discusses the primary areas that are typically included in beyond code or green building programs, including energy efficiency materials and resource conservation, water efficiency, indoor environmental quality, and site development and land use. Detailed descriptions and analysis of actual programs are discussed, including lessons learned and best practices. States and localities can use the information on local programs, national codes and standards, and the model energy efficiency criteria for residential and commercial buildings to find the best approach for their jurisdiction to develop and implement an effective beyond code program.
This guide helps state and local governments by:
- Providing recommendations and guidance for the successful adoption, integration, and implementation of locally and nationally developed programs
- Addressing critical issues that jurisdictions must consider when adopting or developing a green building or beyond code program
- Detailing the elements that promote sustainable development in a typical beyond code program
- Analyzing savings and cost effectiveness of green building
- Reviewing and analyzing successful beyond code programs
Jurisdictions can find creative ways to overcome these challenges by learning from the successful implementation of beyond code programs across the country. By understanding the history of beyond code programs and the direction beyond code programs are taking today, jurisdictions can explore options for adoption, compliance, verification, and enforcement.
Review the quiz before studying the course.
Course Author: USDOE